Brewing on the Web
What is "The Web"?
- Strictly speaking, "The Web" or "The World-Wide Web"
is a collection of multi-media documents, written in HTML (Hyper-Text Markup
Language), that are interlinked by embedded "hyper-links."
- Loosely, it's almost anything that is accessible over the internet,
including e-mail, and Usenet news.
- Web content is retrieved with a browser, such as Netscape or
Microsoft Internet Explorer, or the AOL web browser.
- Web documents can contain embedded images, movies, sounds, etc. etc.
- Web access is not one-way: A web document may contain a form that lets
you send queries or information back to the server.
Why is it so popular?
- It makes internet access easy and transparent -- "point and click."
- It is easy to "publish" information on the web.
How do you find stuff?
- Index pages (more on this below).
- Web searches
- Yahoo -- a searchable index of
- Alta Vista -- search
the content fo over 30 million pages almost instantly.
What's there for brewers?